Tuesday, February 16, 2010

President's Day Run

Monday I ran/walked 3 miles in Preparation for the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon!


Yesterday I had off for President's Day, so I was excited to run earlier in the day.  The weather was beautiful and it was surprisingly warm for a "winter" day.  I decided to go to one of my favorite places in San Diego - the Old Town/Mission Hills area.  I used to do walk this route when I was better at exercising regularly. 


I start at Heritage Park and go up Juan Street ( a massive hill!) and through the historic district of Mission Hills.  The bad (and good) thing about this route is you face your toughest part first - the Juan Street Hill.  Needless to say, I did not run this at all, and in fact I spent a lot of the first ten minutes switching frequently from a walk to slow jog.  It was just shy of 80 degrees when I went on my run, so it gave me a frightening glimpse into the temperature coming in spring and summer!  I was definitely complaining to myself a lot at the beginning of this run.  This is my cue to remind myself of the cause I'm running for!


The heat and hills were uncomfortable, and I felt a lot more out of breath than usual, but I was able to work past that because I just love being in this area.  The homes in Mission Hills are all so unique, and they represent San Diego's history.  If you ever get a chance to walk, run, or drive through this area, I recommend it.  I always like to guess what the inside of the houses look like.  Maybe one day I'll be lucky to live in one - or know someone who does!


I go about as far as Mission HIlls Nursery, and then wind back through the neighborhood before heading down to Old Town.  I used every chance on the way back to run and jog, since down hill is a lot easier to do so.  I can't believe in a couple of weeks I'll be doing hill runs!


Old Town was busy with tourists for the holiday weekend.  I did a lap around the park, ending my three mile run.  I used mapmyrun.com to track my distance before I left the house, just to hold myself accountable for the mileage.  My last stop on the route was the new Old Town Five and Dime for a gatorade, and cheap sunglasses (I decided it's too risky to run with my nice ones Clint bought me!)


Sunday Review
I was really sore on Sunday from my ten hour work day and three mile run, so I was glad it was a cross training, easier day.  I was excited to go swimming since the weather was nice.  Unfortunately, the heater still wasn't working and I couldn't force myself into the cold pool.  
I returned home and decided to go for a quick bike ride on my cruiser.  I went around the neighborhood a few times, but felt like that wasn't cutting it (although I have a blast doing it!).  I felt like I completed a lazy man's triathlon (walk to pool, put feet in pool and "think about swimming", walk back, ride around the block on beach cruiser...not my best workout!)
I remembered Clint showed me this Exercise Channel on Demand, and I thought I'd check this out.  I ended up doing about a twenty minute stretching/strength training routine designed for runners and walkers, all in the comfort of my own living room!  I really felt better after spending some quality time stretching, and picked up some good stretches I need to do on a daily basis.  


After an off day today, I'm back to running tomorrow....stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment