Sunday, February 7, 2010

Rainy Day Session & Shoe Clinic Fun

Saturday I ran/walked 3 miles in preparation for the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon!

Yesterday was our second Saturday session and I was really looking forward to it. We met at 8:00am at RoadRunner Shoes. It was "Green Team" Spirit Day so I made sure to wear my green running shorts and lace up my shoes with green laces. GO TEAM!

It was really cold and rainy yesterday morning. If I wasn't participating with this program, it was definitely not a morning I would have decided to wake up and run. It's times like those that we have to remind ourselves why we are doing this. Someone read a letter at our meeting that reminded us when we run in the rain, our hair may get wet but it's not comparison to losing our hair due to cancer treatments. And after our run, our muscles get stronger, unlike the cancer fighters we are running for who continuously lose strength because of blood disease, and who become tired even after just taking a breath. Running in the rain is the least we could do!

I completed three miles, and ran in the "5 minute jog/1 minute walk group". I ran with a Padres teammate who kept me motivated and helped me finish strong. We also finished just as it started to pour. Good timing! Then on to the activity I had been waiting for since I signed up...

THE SHOE CLINIC!

Since we were at RoadRunner we participated in a shoe clinic after the event. We were able to get new running shoes at a discounted TNT price. It was long overdue for me, as I haven't gotten a new pair in a few years!
If you haven't been to RoadRunner, it's an awesome experience. I learned you don't just pick running shoes by size and color (although color still played an important part for me!)
The staff at RoadRunner watch how you run on a treadmill, and analyze your feet so they know where you put pressure on them, where you need more support, and what's going to be most comfortable to you while you run. I have a pretty high arch, and run pretty straight, so they pointed me to the "Neutral" category of shoes.

After trying a few pairs, I'd like to introduce you to my
new best friends...

I can't wait to run in them, and I love the awesome Neon Yellow Color!


Once I picked out my shoes, I felt much more prepared to run the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon. But since I was at RoadRunner, and since I had some new awesome shoes, I decided to treat myself to something special. Check out these Neon Yellow Running Shorts!


Did I mention I love Neon running clothes! We all know that part of the fun of starting a new hobby is buying the gear. These shorts are going to come in handy for our Monday night runs. I don't think any car will miss seeing me when I wear these!

Yesterday was a blast. Thanks RoadRunner and all my TNT Teammates for a great day!
And thank you to those following my journey (even when I may ramble) and who have donated to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. You are making a difference, and I appreciate you!


1 comment:

  1. Glad you are enjoying the training and your new wardrobe.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete