Monday, March 22, 2010

Katie, meet Plantar Fasciitis..

On Monday, March 15th I ran 3 miles in Preparation for the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon!


With a busy work schedule, I knew Monday would be my only day to get some extra mileage in.  I went to the gym at night and planned to run three miles.  I was able to complete that, doing a six minute run, one minute walk interval.  About half way through my foot really started to hurt on the bottom, and I didn't really know what it was so I just kept running.


The next day my right foot continues to hurt, mostly around the arch and on the outer side.  It was really awkward to even take simple steps.  I also realized the pain may be self-inflicted.  I went from running seven miles on Saturday, wearing flip flops to Spring Training on Sunday, and sporting high heels in the office on Monday.  The change in footwear was certainly not helping my pain.  I asked around the office and I was diagnosed by some of my co-workers that I most likely had plantar fasciitis.  (No, this is not a fungus of any kind.  It means some of my muscle tissue in the foot is torn and damaged)  I remember hearing to roll a golf ball on the bottom of my foot, and I was also given the advice to freeze a water bottle and put that on the bottom of my foot to ease the pain.  I would continue these during the week, only to find out more on Saturday by my Team In Training mentors and coaches. 


Stay tuned for the next chapter in my fight against foot pain...

No comments:

Post a Comment