Sunday, March 21, 2010

Vacation Island and Honored Teammates Picnic - March 13th

On March 13th I ran 7.1 miles in Preparation for the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon!


Last Saturday was my first day running in ten days after being sick.  My throat still kind of hurt, and I wasn't sure about running a long distance, but I felt like I couldn't miss the festivities.  After our run there would be a picnic with our Honored Teammates - those we are running to support in their fight against blood cancer.  


It was very cold in the morning when we gathered, and I was forced to add a sweatshirt to my running attire, although I would of course regret that later.  When I got there I expected to run 6 miles which I was nervous about, but to my surprise our distance was 7.1 miles.  


I decided to go at a slower pace than I have previously had before getting sick, so I ran with the interval group that was doing 4 minutes run, 1 minute walk.  We started at Vacation Island, went past Sea World, and headed toward Fiesta Island before turning around and going back to our staring place.  It was amazing to look back and seen how much distance we had covered!


After our run, we had our Honored Teammate Picnic.  Everyone brought food, and we were ready to eat after a long run!!!  While we enjoyed each other's company and had a hearty "brunch" we were able to meet some of the Honored Teammates  that are fighting blood cancers.  It is very humbling to have people thank us for running, when their families are fighting to keep their loved ones healthy (and sure makes 7 miles seem like an easy task).  It was a great memory to be a part of, and I will think of those teammates as I cross the finish line June 6th.


Now some pictures from the day...

Nina, RJ and I enjoying the picnic after our furthest run...ever!



Team in Training Teammates!



Honored Teammate Jason O'Hara (you've been introduced to him on my blog before!), his little sister, and his mom Jane, who spoke to us about our journey.  Jason, who has been fighting leukemia, is doing well and is even playing on an all-star basketball team!                Jane herself has run many marathons for the cause!


The is a green team member Adam who has shared his story regarding his five year old son's fight against blood cancer.  Adam is an inspiration...he has won our spirit award, is completely dedicated to training, and always has his son's health as top priority.


I wanted to take a moment to say THANK YOU to those of you who have donated to my webpage to support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.   
You are making a difference in the quality of life of our honored teammates!
Thanks to you I am almost 50 % towards my fundraising goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment