Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday Night: Season Premiere of THE HILLS

Today I ran about 4 miles in Preparation for the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon!

So my friend Steve was right...tonight's group run was a better experience, and much more productive than watching an episode of the quote on quote "lame" MTV reality show fading in popularity (Sorry Kristin - people miss LC!).
Tonight we started running The HIlls of Mt. Soledad, and will continue to do so every Monday until race day as part of our marathon training.
When I first drove up I felt nervous because I'm not known for purposely running hills, especially for long distances.  But there always has to be a first time, and I'm glad it was with Team In Training!  


We started in PB, and went up into the neighborhoods in North PB/Mt. Soledad area.  Right away I could already feel the pressure in my legs, but had no idea what was in store.  
Because it still gets dark early I really have no idea the route we took...we weaved up so many streets and culdesacs, and kept going higher and higher.  My original fear was I'd get lost in the darkness.  Luckily I had runners ahead of me and behind me, and the TNT mentors and coaches have a very methodical way of keeping a good head count and making sure everyone is on route.  I don't know how they do it.  The middle of the run was definitely the hardest.  At times I could hear myself breathing so hard that I was hoping others around me weren't noticing.  Each hill became harder then the next and I'm sure there was some mental complaining...but at a certain point, my body just accepted what it was going through and I got into a great zone.  


This run is hard and challenging, but I enjoyed every minute of it.  Here's a few reasons why:


1.  Steve wasn't joking when he talked about the view.  Even though it was dark, as we were climbing the hills we could see all of the beach and boardwalk lit up.  It was a clear night, and the Orion constellation was directly above us (as were others I'm sure, but this has been my favorite since 4th grade - and the only one I can recognize easily).  I can't wait for Daylight Savings Time - the view will only get better and I heard from others tonight you can enjoy a really nice sunset.  The neighborhoods themselves hold some of the most beautiful houses in San Diego.  I have never really been exposed to this area, but enjoy all that there is to keep my eyes busy while my feet are.


2.  Running with other people is extremely motivating.  There are times when I'm at my own pace and running by myself, but it's great to be at the same pace with someone for awhile and get to know your other TNT Teammates.  I ran with this one man for a bit (probably around 20 or 30 years my senior) until he completely took off on one of the hardest hills.  He is a machine and had such a motivating pace - and I tried to follow his as best I could.  I hope one day I can keep up with him.  I ran a lot of the course with a new teammate Katie - who was a great accountability partner, and who joined TNT for many of the same reasons I did.  I also appreciate all the coaches and mentors running by to ask how I'm doing, or giving me a "Great Job" along the way.  And once again, thank you for not letting me get lost!


3.  On the way back - you get to go downhill...Hallelujah!


4.  I was able to complete almost four miles (most of it up hill!), with just a few stretching breaks (and no walking!), and if you would have told me I would do so two months ago I wouldn't have believed you.  When Coach Everett said at the beginning of the run we were going to complete about four miles I was hoping he was joking.  Now I say "Bring it on!"  


I can't wait until the next episode of The Hills.  I know it will be hard, and I know I'll be tired, but I know I can complete it and it makes me more prepared for the Rock 'N' Roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment