Saturday, February 20, 2010

Saturday Morning at Spanish Landing

Today I ran 4.5 miles in Preparation for the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon!


I was looking forward to this morning's group run for so many reasons:
I missed last Saturday, I hadn't been to any TNT runs all week, I've been getting increasingly sore and was looking for answers, I wanted to get back on track with my runs, and I knew we were running in a beautiful place!


It was another rainy day, but I woke up and was on my way to meet the group at Spanish Landing at 7:00am (Yes - our times have gotten early to compensate for longer distances we will be running!)
When we met we heard a great "Mission Moment" of one of our teammates who is running in memory of his friend's brother who passed away from blood cancer, and for his five year old son who is currently in remission.  I am amazed at how many people are directly affected by Leukemia & Lymphoma in their families.  Our fundraising provides hope to these families, and works toward a cure.  GO TNT! 


During our Coach's discussion he said he had gotten many emails this week about how sore some of us were starting to feel...I felt so relieved!  I wasn't the only one!  It turns out that all of the teammates i talked to today were feeling the same things that I am.  My body wasn't defective like I had imagined.  Coach shared with us this is just a part of the process of more force being put on our body.  
We had a guest speaker today, a really informative Chiropractor based in UTC (I'm really bad at remembering names - but will ask my mentor for his info!).  He talked to us about injury prevention and the tools we can use to keep our muscle tissue conditioned.  This is a whole new world for me...who would have known that a special stick and a foam roll could do so much for your legs?  I have never seen these items before, nor would I have known what to do with them, but know they will be needed to work on target areas (like my knee) as I increase my mileage in the future.  I wouldn't be surprised if I visit Mr. Chiropractor in the future, and appreciate TNT giving us a great contact who supports our program (and even donates back to our LLS fundraising!)  


So after our clinic, we warmed up, stretched, and were off on our run!  Today my target distance was 4.1 miles.  
We started at Spanish Landing and ran down Harbor Drive, and then into Harbor Island.  Clint and I used to run here years ago, and I had forgotten what a beautiful area this is!  
The views of San Diego's skyline are beautiful - even on a rainy day - and there are so many "landmarks" that are good to keep track of your distance.  (You can probably guess this is not a picture I took - we weren't blessed with this much sun today, but I am not going to complain after running in 80 degree heat on Monday!) 
My teammate RJ and we ran to Tom Ham's Lighthouse, and then back out of Harbor Island to our starting point. I was responsible for getting a little confused on distance, and my mistake led to us running somewhere between 4.5 and 5 miles!  Oops...I guess next Saturday will just seem easier!


I'm looking forward to using this route on my own as I increase my mileage.  I would love to get an opportunity to run the whole Harbor Island Loop (down to Island Prime - Yum!), and then out towards our the Star of India and Midway.  Today the longest distance people ran was 10 miles - taking them all the way to Seaport Village!  I can't believe I will be completing runs like that in only a matter of months.


After some goodbyes and a tasty bagel, I was in my car just as it started to rain again.  Saturday's are always a great day to re-energize, re-group and soak up all of the TNT spirit you can!  I'm excited for the upcoming week and can't wait to report my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment