Monday, March 1, 2010

Running in the Rain

Saturday I ran 5.1 miles in Preparation for the Rock 'N' Roll Marathon!


It almost seems like tradition for Saturday sessions to come with questionable weather.  This weekend was no exception.  We met at 7:00am at Liberty Station and it was pouring rain.  Everyone was bundled up and huddled under umbrellas - not your usually running scene.


Before we went running we heard a "Mission Moment" from a teammate of ours who had lost her brother to leukemia.  She mentioned that if it wouldn't have been for brother's memory she wouldn't be out running in a rain storm, and thanked us for being out in the miserable weather as well.  This is what makes our runs worth it.  Besides just training for a marathon or half marathon, we are working towards the common goal of beating blood cancers.  My Mentor JP reminded me "Unfortunately, there are too many cancer patients out there who only wish that they could have run in the rain with us.  But one day, because of LLS and our fundraising efforts, they will!!"


After a quick stretch we were off on our run.  The rain pretty much washed away our running maps, so I was glad that I was running with a group and had many people in front of me that I could follow.  We ran around NTC Park and into the Point Loma area around Nimitz Boulevard.  I had about four layers on, and quickly I warmed up even though I was soaking wet.  Every week I make the mistake of over dressing!  


I am happy to say I completed 5.1 miles, and jogged the whole distance!  This was a first, and I contribute it to the weather and trying to run faster than the rain.  Getting to our check point seemed to take forever, but once we turned around from that point, the trip back went quickly, and the rain took a hiatus.  What is so cool about TNT is you have people cheering you on at every point.  Even in the rain, they give you a smile and a "Go Team!"


I was proud to have completed a less than comfortable run!  Our coaches are right - we will look back on this day and laugh, and be glad we were a part of it when we are crossing the finish line on June 6th.  I leave you with some soggy photos taken at our Saturday session (thank goodness I'm not in these - I looked like a drowned rat!)...




Counting the minutes until our run...


My Mentor JP (on the right) braving the rain with a smile.  Thanks for your support JP!


No comments:

Post a Comment